Feature by: Death Machines
Photos by: Jose J Martinez
It may or may not surprise you that Scotty Cranmer has a serious passion for automobiles and he gave Death Machines first rights to showcase his in-depth collection of high horse power JDM cars; no big body Benzes or Beamers for this dude, only fast street cars. We are not going to get too much into it, but for those of you not up on your X-Games, Scotty is one of the most fierce competitors in all of BMX. He has won many major events and has an amazing arsenal of tricks.
We had been planning this photo shoot for quite sometime because we wanted to bring out some serious dudes. This was a great opportunity to cover some rare cars and who best to cover them than the talented, Jose Martinez. Death Machines gave one job to Jose; capture the Skylines within the amazing backdrop of historical Asbury Park, New Jersey. Our good friend, John Vigg, worked with Jose earlier in the day to come up with some real dope locations; the story behind this place is just amazing.
The day did not start off so hot, it was drizzling on and off and we thought we were going to have to call it quits. The weather in NJ this time of year, is so unpredictable between the chance of snow, rain, or something in between, but we manned up and decided to go for it. Unfortunately, while Scotty was on his way to Asbury his Evo ran into his R34. The damage on the R34 was not too bad, but the Evo had to get towed. Once he got there Jose started putting in work on the R34.
Both the R33 and the R34 have many performance mods. The most impressive upgrades on the R33 is the turbo system. It has a massive A’PEXi intercooler along with a single Precision 35r turbo. It has been known to see 21 PSI, making 490 HP on pump gas out of its HKS 2.7 liter engine. To help get all this power to the ground there is a Tomei front diff along with an OS Giken race clutch. As far as suspension goes, the car has OHLINS coilovers for phenomenal handling. The R33 has real nice wheel fitment, with a set of Volk CE28Ns (19×9.5+12) and Goodyear Eagle tires (275/35/19).
The R34 has a different approach when it comes to performance. The car is sporting the original twin turbo set-up, which is a great power combination straight from the factory. The stock turbos are teamed up with plenty aftermarket accessories from Greddy; cam gears, intercooler piping, and cams (Grex 256). There is an A’PEXi Power FC L Jetro to control the mayhem of the fuel, timing, and many more important functions of the ECU.
Just looking at the engine bay of the R34 was amazing, the RB looked so fast. It originally comes with ITB’s and the intake manifold was changed over to a Greddy unit that has a massive plenum and now has a single 100 mm throttle body. With this combination the R34 is producing around 450WHP. Handling was definitely not overlooked, as it is sitting aggressively on a set of Greddy Type S coilovers and helping the nice stance, is a set of Volk TE37s (18×10.5+22).
FYI – He still has a few other cars in this collection that we will be shooting in the near future.
Thanks: Scotty Cranmer, Jose Martinez, John Vigg, SC Action Sports, Incline Club, Township of Asbury Park, and all the guys that came to hang with us that day.
Scotty’s Top 5
1. Skyline GTRs (32 33 34 35)
2. MKIV Supras
4. LS1 Rx-7s
5. SR20det 240sx
1. Jack’s Mannequin/ Something Corporate
3. The Get Up Kids
4. .Saves the day
5. Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band
1. Table Top
3. Flip No Hander
4. Luc-e Grinds
5. Hang 5
1. Orlando trip ‘04 (I was 16 and with 4 of my best friends)
2. Road Fools Rock & Roll 2 (warm weather from Midwest to my home turf)
3. Eastern Bikes southeast trip ‘03 (I was 15 and it was my first trip; spent with the team and my 2 idols, Brad Gethard and Leigh Ramsdel)
4. Staff Mega Tour Cali ’06 (all my staff homies in a van in SoCal.. living the dream)
5. NC Outerbanks ‘07(5 best friends, 30 family members,1 week on a gorgeous beach)
1. The Incline Club (I love that place with every part of me)
2. Area 51 (John Jennings trails are a NJ legend. somewhat jersey devil status)
3. The bike shop (riding curbs or the huge resi its fun)
4. My driveway (small ramps and ledges but a great time)
5. Any random parking lot in Howell/ Jackson that’s where it started for me)